Monday, December 1, 2008

You Should Go to Nursing School!

Um, no, I shouldn't. And if I hear this one more time, I think I'll scream!

Why is it that the only career a CNA can aspire to is RN? I just don't get it. There are plenty of healthcare careers to choose from: Physical Therapist, Speech Language Therapist, Physician, Paramedic, Phlebotomist, Radiation Therapist, Xray Technologist, Audiologist, Social Worker....the list goes on and on. But I'm always asked, "Have you ever considered nursing?"

The truth is...I did consider nursing. I considered it because I was being lazy. I knew that becoming a nurse would not afford me the scope of practice that I desired. I wanted to diagnose and treat patients, order, read and interpret labs and xrays. I wanted to prescribe physical therapy and medications. I wanted that scope of practice. So, I began my research. It was then that I discovered the PA profession, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to endure Microbiology, Chemistry, Statistics, etc. In the end I decided to go for it, and I am so glad I did!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a nurse. I have a lot of respect for nurses and what they do. What I admire the most is the fact that they are the doers! They get to carry out the orders from the doctors and other practitioners. I want that, but I also want the added responsibility of writing orders, and making decisions. I want to be a doer and a decision maker! And that is being a PA.

I've been thinking a lot about the school that I've chosen to pursue my PA education. I can't be more proud of the decision I've made! The school I'll be attending is not a big name school, nor does it carry a large amount of prestige and recognition. It doesn't have the latest technology-although the technology they do have is nothing to sniff at-and there are no world reknowned faculty members on staff. But...when I walked onto campus I felt at home! The staff is down to earth, funny, sincere, and they all currently practice medicine. The small town feel is right up my alley; the rent is cheap and everything I'll need is just a few minutes down the road. And the best part...the cafeteria is to die for! I'm talking pasta bar, dessert bar, hot sandwiches, cold sandwiches, salad bar, you name it! And, the gym is a dream come true! In exactly one year from today, I will be packing my things and moving hundreds of miles away to pursue this dream that is years in the making. It's almost surreal to think that this is my life. My life!

1 comment:

Mina said...

Wow this sounds just like me.
I started nursing school last year and ended up doing horribly because it just didn't interest me and I WAS being lazy.

Now I have to work twice as hard to make up for my laziness