Saturday, December 27, 2008

Why not MD?

Good question. Why not MD?

As Ed Begley said in 12 Angry Men, "There's always one!" As a pre-PA, I've only taken part in one round of interviews for a PA school seat, but I'm sure at every PA interview there's always that one applicant: the snotty overachiever, who thinks he/she is the best thing since sliced bread, who has to boast about where they've studied and where they've traveled, who feels the need to pick the brains of the other applicants simply to feel more superior. Yeah, that one. I remember that one during my interview; he was a hoot. Constantly asking questions that no one wanted to answer. One of those questions was, "So...why not MD." It was totally inappropriate at the time, but I think it's a question that every pre-PA thinks/should think about. Why? Because everyone else will ask you this question, even some ADCOM's. Because knowing the answer to this question solidifies your reason for pursuing a career as a PA.

My high school English teacher taught me never to answer a question with a question, and I admit I was fueling the fire when I responded to "that one," but on both accounts, I couldn't resist when I replied with, "Why MD?" He simply shrugged his shoulders, and soon, the other applicants began detailing why they had chosen otherwise.

For me, it is quite simple. I can do all I ever wanted to, medically, as a PA. For me, having MD behind my name is meaningless. I care nothing about prestige and social status, and I've been in school long enough as it is. I don't feel the need to be in charge all the time. I enjoy the thought of being a dependent practitioner, working with doctors and being an intergral part of the team. My interests lie in getting my hands dirty, working my hours,studying and learning as much as I can, treating my patients, making a decent living doing what enjoy, and going home.

It seems that many people think MD is the end of the line, and those who pursue the career of a midlevel ( I really hate that word) are "settling for less." How absurd. Becoming a PA is not a stepping stone to becoming an MD. It is a career that beautifully compliments that of a doctor. There is no competition between the two. To be honest, I would be foolish not to pursue PA. I get to do all kinds of cool medical stuff, come away with less loan debt than doctors, make a pretty good living, and, get this, I'll have the lateral mobility that very few doctors have. Ya can't beat it, folks. It is the right fit for me!

I think a lot of people wrestle between these two careers because of all the misconceptions. Some think becoming a PA will warrant them no respect from other healthcare professionals. Let's face it, there are lots of doctors/nurses who despise PA's. Some docs feel PA's are moving in on their turf, and some nurses feel they don't have to take orders from PA's. On the whole, though, I think healthcare professionals who are secure in their role, and have no inferiority complexes, realize the value of competent PA's and have great respect for them. Becoming a PA is not settling. For me, it's just plain smart!

Just peruse the vast amount of literature that's out there. PA's are not what they used to be. They are specializing, just as the docs are, and they are making a difference! Patients on the whole are very pleased with the level of care PA's provide. They are performing procedures and working with a level of autonomy that, for some, is mindboggling! It's truly amazing, and I can't wait to be a part of this group of medical practitioners. Pre-Pa's, do your homework. Sit down, and really take a look at the pros and cons of each career path. Outline your goals, and highlight those of greatest importance. Most importantly, be honest with yourself. It makes no sense to take a seat in a PA program when you really desire to become a doctor.


PS: I know there are lots of folks who have already heard "yea" or "nay" in regards to acceptance to PA school. To those of you who are still waiting, good luck!

No comments: