Monday, December 29, 2008

As Expected

Yep...orientation is boring!

There are only three of us taking part in this round of orientation. Out of the three, I'm the only one not in nursing school. One young lady has one semester left to finish, and the young guy just finished his very first quarter. When asked if I was in school, I simply answered, "No."

Everyone seems very, very nice and welcoming, which is refreshing to say the least. Not a single bed is vacant on the floor, and all the patients look awfully ill. I can't wait to get a better look once I hit the floor on Wednesday. Tomorrow morning we report at 6:30 (ouch!), but at least we will get to leave at a decent time. We got so much information thrown at us today: got name badges, covered 5 hours worth of orientation modules, received parking decals, took a tour of the floor, filled out paperwork...it was neverending. I must say, however, that there is a feeling in the hospital that you will not find in LTC. An energy, if you will. I love it. I wonder if that energy disappears during the night shift. Ha...I seriously doubt it.

I learned that my addition to the floor will be an immense help to the young lady who serves as PCT for the ENTIRE floor on the night shift. I'm sure she'll be happy to have an extra set of hands to help out. As for me, the more patients I'm exposed to, the better. There are an awful lot of patients in isolation due to TB. I guess TB will be the first disease I will learn about. Harisson's...here I come!

No comments: