Sunday, October 12, 2008

Reflections

It's a peaceful Sunday morning here: partly cloudy with a mild breeze. It reminds of my first trip to Italy.

I was 19 years old at the time. Trips abroad always begin the moment you step foot on the plane. It's like traveling through a time warp. I remember flying over the Atlantic Ocean at night, looking out of my window and seeing nothing but blackness. It was invigorating! I had never been outside of the US, and here I was, 19 years old, getting paid to sing in a foreign land. Those...were...the...days! I remember the wonderful greeting we got at the airport, and the 4 hour bus ride to the hotel...and the meal that awaited us! You have never had pasta until you've had the real thing. I know I gained at least 5 pounds on that trip!

I remember getting up early to have breakfast: croissants with jam, select cheeses, juice. I lived to eat breakfast every morning. It was my rite of passage! I would get dressed, meet Rachel in the lobby, and together we would head to the center of town and hit every shop in sight. I remember all the gifts I bought for my family. At night we all would get dressed and head to whatever venue we were performing in. We sang everywhere: museums, concert halls, churches, outdoor stages, the Vatican. The concerts were always standing room...always. People would lean against the walls and sit on the floors to hear us. I was still young and naive at the time, and had yet to understand what I had become a part of. I remember one concert in particular. The church was breathtaking, filled to capacity. The spirit was flowing freely, and we all were in great voice. Every song we sang was in English. By the end of the concert, every single Italian in the front row was in tears. Silent sniffles and sobs echoed throughout the hall. It was as if they knew exactly what we were singing about. They did! Music is the universal language.

What I remember most is walking the cobblestone streets in the countryside, picking flowers, watching cats nap in the window, seeing lovers share cups of coffee at the corner cafe, inhaling the smell of freshly baked bread, watching the sun rise and the outdoor merchants set up shop, and...siesta. What a life! Here is where I found peace, joy, contentment, relaxation...God. Now that I am older, I am amazed I had such an opportunity so early in life. It all came and went so quickly that at times I wonder if it ever happened at all. Who am I that I would be chosen to live this life? I am truly blessed.

No comments: