Saturday, October 11, 2008

After Shock

It feels so good to have two consecutive days off work. My feet need the rest! I'm still pinching myself to see if I'll wake up from this "dream" I'm in. Did I really speak to the Admissions Coordinator, and did he really say I had been granted acceptance to PA school? Is this some kind of sick practical joke, or did I pull a fast one on a lot of people?

The vast majority of readers will understand what I'm talking about, but others may be wondering why I haven't fallen off cloud nine yet. Applying to PA school is not like applying to other programs where getting in is pretty much guaranteed. For instance, one wouldn't have to apply to 10+ schools to get into a good English program. Take my school, for example (which I will reveal at some point): they received over 700 applications. Out of those 700+ applicants, only 150 were interviewed. From those 150, 30 are given seats in the program. Yes...30. This scenario is the same across the country at almost every single PA program. I believe there are now 141 programs in the US.

The typical applicant is a college graduate with approximately 3 years of direct patient care. GPA's can range from 3.0 to 4.0. Think typical overachiever, Type A personality, straight A student. In addition to a great academic resume, one must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills. This is why the interview can make or break you. It is not uncommon for applicants to apply to 8, 12, 20 schools.....and still be denied entry; it's simply that competitive. I wouldn't say my resume is standard: I'm 28 years old (a bit older than most of my competition), still completing my undergrad degree (most of my younger counterparts already have degrees), and my grades are above average. Yet, I have been accepted to the only school I have applied to, the first time, during my first application cycle. Unbelievable! It's amazing, because I felt an affinity to this particular school long before I set foot on campus. I could see myself there, and I felt home there during the interview. It was as if I knew I would be accepted, even though all the literature and statistics said otherwise.

What sets me apart from the other applicants? This was a question that was asked of me during my interview. My answer: "Everyone who applies to PA school has drive, determination, and a passion for this profession. I think what seperates me from all other applicants is my background. Music has taught me so much and has given me so much. It has afforded me the opportunity to travel and familiarize myself with the differences between races, cultures, and ethnic backgrounds. This will serve me well as a practitioner. I used to kick myself for dropping out of college with one class left to complete my degree, but now I understand what an integral part that played in developing the person I am today. I am grateful for the path I have taken. It has made me a better person, and I know it will make me a better Physician Assistant." I finally feel like all the pieces of my life are coming together. I feel like I finally know where I am headed. It's a great feeling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds familiar. I'm 29 and I applied last yr. A yr or 2 ago, I was feeling the same, like my life has no meaning and that I didn't have a career path. Now that I got into PA school, I feel relieved and satisfied. I know where I will be 2 yrs from now :)

SLP said...

Thanks for reading and posting!

I love to hear stories about older applicants gaining acceptance to PA school. It's a great feeling knowing that in two years I will have a career that I love and that I can count on. How far along are you in your program? Good luck to you!