Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Playing Hookie

So...day before yesterday I played hookie from work, spent the whole day with the cop, and had a great time! Sometimes, you just need to play hookie!

It's strange; i've been married for a little over a year, and it feels like much longer than that. I guess that's how marriage goes. The ups and the downs...all of it is part of the game, and each challenge makes the marriage stronger. I'm so blessed to have the cop...to have him choose ME! Insane.

Our new admit, WB, is the sweetest, cutest woman! I don't know exactly what's wrong with her, except she is aphasic, severely contracted and emaciated, and has involuntary tremors. I had the pleasure of feeding her yesterday. It was like feeding a newborn baby. I was in awe of her! It pains me sometimes that I am not able to fully communicate with my patients, either because of language barriers or illness. I often wonder who they are, and what they were when they were young, vibrant members of society. I have so many questions to ask them. I want to take walks down memory lane with them, and experience their lives, their passions, their dreams. Everyone has a story! Hearing and sharing stories is by far the best part about being a medical professional.

No comments: