Saturday, October 18, 2008

Loss

Today was one of the best days I've had at work in a long time. The weekday supervisors were off, the nurses allowed you to do your job, and everyone worked together as a team. Why can't every day at work be like this?

Today I found out that we lost a patient on my floor yesterday. JT was a sweet woman; never bossy or demanding. Always low maintenance. She was a bit of a cynic, perhaps because of her condition. She had end stage heart disease, unbeknownst to me and the other CNA's, and was on hospice care. We all knew she wouldn't be with us for long, but I didn't know what she would be dying from, nor did I know she would leave us so soon. She had only been with us for about a month.

When I passed by her bed today, it was empty...neatly made. I knew something was wrong because JT NEVER got out of bed. It broke my heart to hear of her demise. Life is so precious, and we all take it for granted.

No comments: