Thursday, October 9, 2008

Reality sets in

I did it! I've done the impossible; I've beaten the odds. I've been accepted to PA school!

These are the thoughts that ran through my mind last night as I lay awake in bed. I haven't been this fired up in a long time. Getting into PA school is not an easy feat, let alone getting in the first time you apply at the first school you apply to. I am truly blessed. In retrospect, I have really earned this. I have always tried to be as modest as possible, but the truth is I worked my butt off to get into school. Anyone pursuing a seat in a PA program has worked extremely hard. All the science courses, the phonecalls, the follow up phonecalls, the shadowing, the parking fees, gaining healthcare experience, asking for letters of recommendation, meeting application deadlines, making flight and hotel accomodations for interviews....it is overwhelming. But boy, is it all worth it!

I work at a long term care facility as a CNA. I wouldn't call it the best direct patient care experience one could get, but it has certainly taught me the value of humility and service, both of which are necessary in healthcare. I have met some phenomenal people: former homemakers, authors, linguists, gemologists, nurses. Each patient has a story to tell, and I try to absorb as much as I can. Today when I walked into the building, everyone and everything looked different. I had a pep in my step and a cheesy grin on my face. Even coworkers who irritate me daily could not steal my joy! I simply focused on my patients, and kept reminding myself that one day, instead of being limited to dressing and feeding them, I will have the skills and training to diagnose and treat their illnesses. Simply amazing! Moreover, I don't have to wait a year to begin my PA education. It began years ago, when I first stepped foot onto a college campus. And it continues today. Every book I read, every lecture I hear, every patient I advocate for, every day that I live...all of it is a part of this journey to competence! Simply put, being a PA is not enough. I want to be the best!

No comments: