Saturday, November 15, 2008

Progress

I remember shadowing with Holly early on in my quest to become a Physician Assistant. I had just begun submitting applications, and I was feeling the pressure. I remember telling her how happy I would be once I got accepted, because I wouldn't have to worry about anything anymore. I will never forget what her response was: "No. Once you get your acceptance letter, there will be other things to worry about. Financial aid, relocating, finishing prerequisite courses, gaining healthcare experience...there will always be something to worry about." Boy, was she right!

So, I successfully completed my phlebotomy training course yesterday, and left the clinic looking like a blood donor. Both arms were bandaged. I got stuck 5 times, and got to stick 5 times. It was exhilarating; I have never done any type of invasive procedure before. Out of the 5 times I stuck someone, I got a flashback 2 times, I think. The last time I attempted the vacutainer method, I got a full vile of blood, and I did it all by myself! Talk about a rush. Now, that was just blood drawing. I can't imagine how I will feel when I get to do my first injection, or my first surgery. I have definitely made the right career choice! It feels good to have this skill under my belt, but I am a long way from mastery. My goal now is to find employment where I can use this skill on a daily basis. Practice makes perfect!

I'm also very happy that I am making progress as it pertains to earning my degree. I finally spoke to the powers that be today, and we have a clear goal set to finish this thing once and for all. The best news is I will not be required to relocate. I can complete the requirements right here in my hometown. By the end of spring I should be a college graduate. It's been a long time coming!

No comments: