Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Being the Guinea Pig

Hey, guess what?
















OBAMA!!!!!

So, I finally registered for the phlebotomy course today. Next Friday, I will spend 6 hours being poked and prodded by strangers who have never drawn blood, ever. I'm assuming that I will leave the seminar looking like a meth addict! Let's hope the instructors are good, and that all of us just end up having a knack for finding the vein and drawing the blood with minimal pain!!

My goal going into PA school is to know as much as possible. That means, acquire as much knowledge and clinical skill as I can. From IV insertion to simple dressing changes, my goal is to learn these fundamental skills so when I get to PA school, I can spend my time focusing on more intricate procedures and clinical details. I am always doing searches for websites that can help me in this. Last week I found this site, learningradiology.com. Fantastic spot for beginners who are not familiar with radiographic imaging and diagnosis. There is even a student section! I've always liked looking at radiographs, but now at least I have some knowledge of what to look for and in what order. Even as a pre PA student, my heart stops momentarily while I am taking the quizzes. One mistake, one misdiagnosis can mean the difference between life and death, between being a licensed practitioner and being jobless. Medicine is so much fun!

No comments: