Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hanging in there

Isn't that what life is all about? Doing the best you can, today. Surviving today. Hanging in there until the next opportunity comes around. This is what makes life exciting and unbearable.

I spent my off day doing what I never do...resting! Ah, it was wonderful. I just curled up on the couch with my puppy Lincoln, and we slept the day away. It was pure bliss. Of course, this was after spending the morning searching and applying for a new job. Work, then rest...in that order! I go back to the hellhole tomorrow.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. As much as I hate going to work everyday, I do love the job. The job of a CNA is not glamorous. It is as close to the bottom of the barrel as one can get, but I love it. I love the patients, and in spite of the mindless duties I have, I love the work! It's the poisonous atmosphere, the supervisors, and the idiots in white coats that I detest. They ruin it for me. I'm hoping that once I add PA-C to the end of my name, all of this will go away. Or is that unrealistic? Is healthcare the same everywhere? I haven't worked everywhere, but if all facilities are run the way mine is, healthcare is NOT for me. I find myself comparing my facility to the ones I visited when I was shadowing. I...LOVED...SHADOWING! The cameraderie, the ease, the challenge of the workload, the patients; this is why I submitted my PA application. I could see myself working in that environment. I admired those people, yet I can't find a single person like that where I work. It's mind-numbing, and it's frustrating. I think what frustrates me the most is working with supervisors who can barely string a decent English sentence together; who call patients crybabies to their faces; who have no people skills; who only know how to be aggressive rather than assertive. My hope is that climbing up the totem pole will somehow put me above all the BS. That is my hope, as unrealistic as it may seem. Your thoughts?

No comments: