Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Eyes and Ears Open...Mouth Shut

This is how I operate at work. I've always believed that those who talk a lot miss a lot, and those who are silent see much. I've always been an observer. I like to get my feet wet, adjust to the temperature, then jump in! I've always been a good judge of character. It's always served me well. I know who I can and cannot trust. I got the news of my acceptance to PA school about two months ago. Only two of my coworkers know anything about it. Even the PA that comes in twice a week doesn't know.



I was elated to hear that we had a PA on staff at work! Once I got my acceptance letter, I was even more excited. I planned on asking to shadow her, and I wanted to talk with her about PA experience. I quickly changed my mind once I saw her interaction with fellow coworkers and patients. I'll never forget her lack of bedside manner when listening to the lung sounds of one of my patients. I'll never forget how she laughed as the nurses tried to make fools of me and the other CNA's. And today...today took the cake! A patient was rolling down the hall in her wheelchair as the PA walked by. The patient asked if she was a doctor, to which she quickly replied, "No, I'm a PA." The patient asked what a PA was. Without missing a beat, she replied, "A parking attendant," all while walking towards the nurses station to join the bunch of laughing idiots awaiting her. It made me sick to my stomach.



The PA profession is still very young, and largely unknown. Heck, I only heard of PA's two years ago. I would think any PA, if presented with this scenario, would jump at the chance to explain their role in healthcare. But this PA didn't. Instead she took the opportunity to mock the profession that she associates herself with. Why? Does she wish she were a doctor? I don't know, but I sure wish she were a better representative for the profession. Thank goodness I didn't confide in her about school. She probably would have made me the laughing stock of the nursing home. Keeping your eyes open and your mouth shut sure does pay off.

No comments: