Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Year in Review

So, I've been blogging a little over a year now! How cool is that?

I love lists! I'm always writing them, revising them, and re-writing them to make them better than the last. Lists help you to stay organized, and they keep you on track. It's an easy way to outline your goals, and to be sure you are meeting them. I recall this time last year that I blogged about my goals for this year. Here is a list of those goals:

1. Finish my degree: I can do this one of two ways. Either transfer the credits or go back to my alma mater and spend a sememster there. I would prefer the former, but at this point, NOTHING is gonna stop me from getting that worthless, useless piece of paper.

2. Finish my last two prerequisite courses: both are chemistry courses. I think I will do just fine with this.

3. Gain meaningful healthcare experience: I have 500+ hours under my belt so far, but as you all know, my goal is to work in a hospital setting where I can utilize my critical thinking skills and learn simple procedures.

4. Learn as many simple procedures on my own in the meantime: Any courses I can take to learn skills will be a huge benefit to me (ie. phlebotomy next Friday!!!!!)

5. Learn to read simple Chest radiographs: I LOVE reading xrays. To me, this is a really important goal. I want to be able to look at a shadow and tell if it's abnormal or not...then go from there.

6. Learn how to read EKG's: Yes...this was something that was suggested to me. Once you have a really solid reference, EKG's make a whole lot of sense. Not too difficult. Once you know the basics, it's all about reading often so you don't loose the skill.

In retrospect, I can honestly say I have done all of the above! My undergraduate degree has been completed (thank you God), in two weeks I will complete my last prerequisite course, I have secured a great hospital-based job, and this job has exposed me to many procedures (central lines, A lines, ventriculostomies, phlebotomy, IV insertion, foley insertion), I know how to read and interpret simple chest radiographs, AND I'm pretty darn good at reading EKG's.

I'm impressed, if I do say so myself!

No comments: