Sunday, January 4, 2009

Life As a Tech

So far, I'm really loving my new job! It's only been a week, and I have learned more in that time than all of my time in long term care. Amazing!

My primary duties allow me to get close to the patients. I am expected to read charts and become familiar with why the patients are there in the first place, and for me, this makes all the difference in the world. Tomorrow I begin working the night shift. I can't wait!

So far, I've seen all kinds of conditions. Respiratory failure seems to be the most prevalent, but we have patients in for renal failure, HIV, diabetic ketoacidosis, stroke, MVA, the list goes on and on. One case, however, really struck me last week.

We got word that a new admission was on her way up from the floor. She had just given birth, and since the baby was 6 weeks premature, it was taken by C-section. Complications with the surgery bought her a one way ticket to the ICU. It took her a while to arrive, but when I returned from lunch, there she was...15 years old and scared to death. My first instinct was to stop and stare in shock..."a 15 year old girl...why in the world are these young girls having babies?" But our eyes met, we exchanged smiles, and that was that. She had lots of visitors come by to see her. At least she has the support she will need to raise her child. I think the diagnosis was preeclampsia.

I think what I like about Critical Care medicine is that you have to act quickly and be calm all at once. You must be master of your emotions. Time is of the essence and patients are depending on you to make the right decision...now. I hope to be able to perform according to those standards one day. Critical care, it seems, is becoming a specialty of interest for me. I can't wait to see what awaits me tomorrow night!

No comments: