Friday, January 16, 2009

Full House

All beds are full once again. I must admit, it's been pretty low key lately; no codes, no deaths, and that's a good thing! What's the purpose of Western medicine if lives are not being saved?

We do have some interesting cases going on, though: thrombotic thrombocytopenia pupura, subdural hematoma acquired during sexual intercourse (I lie not!), and my personal favorite, Fournier's gangrene. I just found out that this guy has been with us for about two days. While speaking to another tech, she informed me that she got a chance to sit in on the debridement of the man's scrotum. He was so drugged up, however, that he was smiling and winking the entire time. Needless to say, she had to excuse herself. So...I'll be making my way to his room tonight in hopes of getting a glimpse of THAT!!!!

Coolest thing so far this week: standing bedside as the neurosurgeon performed a stat ventriculostomy on the SDH guy. Talk about AMAZING! I got as close as I could without contaminating the sterile field. I'm hoping this guy pulls through, but it's not looking good.

There's always a gleam of doubt when you're switching from one profession to the other. I often wondered if medicine was really the career for me. Sure, it seems interesting enough, but will my curiosity and love for learning leave me one day? It was paramount that I leave long term care in order to find the answers to these questions. Despite the good days, the sad days, and the slow days I can honestly say I have made the right decision! I am so happy to finally be on the right track in my life.

No comments: