Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Rotation 5: week 5

Tomorrow I complete my Psychiatry rotation. It's been such a wonderful experience. The world of psychiatry can be a bit intimidating, but if you approach it with an open mind, it just might change your life.

I was given the opportunity to present Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs to didactic PA students one month ago as a guest speaker. I love to teach; in fact, I intend to teach as an adjunct professor in the future. Click here to read the blog entry I wrote about Maslow a few months ago.

I am reminded of Maslow and his hierarchy every time I interact with a patient in the Behavioral Health Unit. So many of them are homeless, penniless, and without family support. How, then, am I to expect a miraculous change in their behavior when their basic needs are not being met? How can I become upset with them when they tell me they haven't taken their medications, or haven't been to a PCP in decades? Maslow's work has really changed my life and the way I approach patients.

I'll be sad to leave this rotation, but I know that the field of psychiatry penetrates and permeates every single medical and surgical specialty. We will meet again soon.

No comments: