Saturday, July 30, 2011

Rotation 3: week 1

I've gone from measuring baby bumps, and C-sections to sore throats, AOM's, and sports physicals.

Despite the barrage of ear infections and common colds, I've seen some pretty interesting cases in Peds. A young girl, according to her growth chart, has developed microcephaly as a result of an accident sustained as an infant. An adolescent presented with a classic case of mononucleosis. And I've heard quite a few murmurs as well.

I enjoy doing sports physicals, partly because I enjoy adolescents and I like talking to them. Some feel comfortable having an objective ear listen to them gripe and complain about the woes of life. Others prefer talking to people their own age. Most times, I can at least make them laugh or loosen up before heading out of the office. Overall, the most upsetting thing I'm seeing in this population is obesity. I've never really liked that word. Fat works just fine, and to me it more clearly defines the problem. What's more upsetting is parents are in denial. Anyone who is fat knows they are fat. I don't have to tell them that! The challenge is doing something about it, and this is where physicians and PA's can really step in and offer guidance.

I always like to share my personal struggle with weight with patients. They look at me and think I've been a size 4/6 all my life. Wrong! I tell them how I lost 20 lbs and how I've been keeping it off. I tell them about the importance of weight training, especially for girls. More importantly, I share with them the importance of proper nutrition. You won't believe how many people eat at McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and think that because they ordered a diet coke they are eating "pretty healthy." I haven't eaten at McDonald's for over 15 years, and I think that has a lot to do with my success.

Lifestyle changes can be challenging to make, but it can be done...and fast! I've seen it work in my own life, and this is something I wish to impart to all of my pediatric patients, and all of my future patients. Change is the only constant. Why not make all change POSITIVE!

Week 2 in Peds is shaping up to be a good one. I do find myself eager to get back into the OR. I really miss it. My general surgery rotation is 6 months away, so I'll have to be patient. That's all for now!

No comments: