Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rotation 2: weeks 2 and 3

Sorry for the delay. Time is flying!

Two days into week three and I'm still having a blast. What am I seeing/doing??

vaginal deliveries and C-sections (my subcuticular stitches are looking nice these days)
OB office visits and follow ups
invasive cervical CA
dyspareunia and palpable pelvic masses
incompetent cervix
annual exams and Pap smears
lots and lots of GC/Trich/Chlamydia
ovarian cysts
suction D and C
endometriosis
adenomyosis
leiomyomas
hysterectomies

The list goes on and on. I remember seeing a middle aged woman who had a seven month history of painful sex. Her past medical history was significant, but she had no pertinent family history. On physical exam her abdomen was quite tender. I felt what I thought were small masses in her lowe quadrants. Because she had a partial hysterectomy, I skipped the speculum exam and went straight to the bimanual, and again, another mass measuring about 2 cm was felt at 6 o'clock. I suggested a workup to my preceptor and he agreed! It will be interesting to see what the scans show.

I find myself getting upset when I think of this rotation coming to an end. I'm in love with my preceptor and I'm doing much more than I thought I would be. This rotation has shown me just how much I enjoy surgery...and just how much I enjoy the clinic! I don't think I would enjoy OR work exclusively. The clinic allows you to practice medicine; to get to know your patients and to really put your education to use. I enjoy the process of eliciting a history, performing an exam, and coming up with a diagnosis. I also love using my hands! That's where my fondness of the OR comes in. I enjoy procedure work, and certainly one can do lots of it in the clinic. However, the parade that is the OR is an experience like no other. I look forward to seeing what specialty I find myself in this time next year!

No comments: