Monday, February 23, 2009

Change of Heart

LOL...no not about that. Are you kidding me!

Part of the reason why I took this new job is that it's located in one of the most beautiful areas in my state. I love southern living! I love rolling hills, cows and horses, and homes with land! All of this is a plenty in the town where I work. I can easily see myself working hard in the hospital, rounding on my patients, running the local clinic, and playing just as hard at home with the cop and Linc. But my dream is crumbling before my eyes.

It's becoming obvious to me that my hospital is run by the nurses. And PAs are at the bottom of the totem pole. I work at night, so I don't get a chance to see them rounding in the mornings. The NP's there greatly outnumber the PAs, and they are more office assistants than practitioners. I refuse to work in that capacity, and I don't know if I have the energy or the time for being the first PA to really be utilized properly. That's an uphill battle that I'm not willing to fight, and my first few years as a PA should be about getting my skills up to snuff. Once I pass the PANCE I may have a different outlook. But it sure would be nice to hit the ground running in a practice that knows what a PA is and how they are used. The cop says if the right opportunity comes along, he is willing to move anywhere after I graduate! Sweet!

No comments: