Monday, October 24, 2011

Rotation 5: weeks 1 - 4, and a much needed facelift!

Hello Readers!

Today marks week number four in the world of inpatient Psychiatry. Yes, I entered the hospital for the first time with my eyes and ears wide open and my remaining senses heightened. It took no time at all for me to feel comfortable being on a lock-down unit with patients with diagnoses ranging from paranoid schizophrenia to suicide ideation.

Psychiatry is not for the faint of heart. Sure, there are no codes being called or MI's being diagnosed. The beauty of psychiatry is in the dialogue. It's amazing what people are willing to talk about with people they trust. Sometimes you win trust without even trying. Sometimes it takes days or weeks. My favorite patients have been the ones that scare the nursing staff the most: the antisocial personality disorder patient who is super aggressive, confrontational, and self-mutilates to escape his emotions, and the depressed/suicidal patient who feel larvae growing out of her hair, arms, and legs. These are precious, precious individuals, who are battling illnesses not much different than cancer or heart disease.

I love talking to patients. The gift of gab comes in handy in this specialty, and I think that's why I've enjoyed it so much. Does that mean I may have a future in psychiatry? Not likely. I like to talk, but love using my hands.


2 comments:

tee said...

wow, i know theres no comparison but psychology in itself does not interest me but i guess its nice to read about your experiences with actual people.
its good that you enjoyed it so much.

Whats up next? =)

SLP said...

I hear you! I used to find psychology/psychiatry boring. Now, I realize it is the basis of understanding for every medical condition. If we don't address and properly treat the psychiatric/psychological issues that play a role in the patients' illness, we are doing them a huge disservice.

What's up next for me? Visit my blog tonight to find out!