Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rotation 1: week 2

This week has proved to be the busiest so far. I've been challenged in lots of ways. More than anything, I realized just how much I have to learn.

This week I saw everything from hernias, irregular menstrual bleeding, and sore throats, to allergic drug reactions, abscesses, and alcohol-induced pancreatitis. I even got to do my very first Pap smear and male genital exam. Cool! The most challenging case of all was a follow up interview with a grieving mother who had recently lost a child. This job is A LOT more involved than I thought it would be, and I guess the lesson in this is that we as future PA's do a lot more than stitch people up and give meds.

Alaska is a beautiful place. Could I see myself living here? Maybe, but not year round. The patient population is exactly what I thought it would be, and I am so happy that I chose to come here. The detective will be here next week. I've been dying to get out and explore all that Alaska has offer. I can't wait to share this experience with him.

Stay tuned!

No comments: