Wednesday, December 15, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

I've been home for exactly 5 days now and I'm already getting antsy. It doesn't take long for me. Don't get me wrong...I love being home with my family, not having to study for 10 exams at once, not dealing with the nasty winter weather up north, but I do miss the hustle and bustle of school. I miss learning. I am the ultimate nerd! I better enjoy this break while it lasts. Rest now, work later! I did bring a few books with me to read: my lab medicine text, Cecil's (not the easiest read, but a fascinating read nonetheless), and my radiology text. I'll start cracking those sometime next week.

Here's a line up for the classes that await me next semester:

General Surgery
General Surgery lab
Clinical Medicine
Pharmacology
Primary Care Modules
Geriatrics
Research class
Clinical Decision Making

Just a continuation of what we've been doing, minus the Pathophysiology. Man, I'm going to miss Patho!

A word to the wise: PA school is much more than going to class and getting good grades. I'ts much more than showing up and performing well. It's much more than memorization and regurgitation. There is a lot expected of you outside the classroom. Criminal background checks, liability insurance payments, AAPA/local chapter professional organization fees, additional training (BLS, ACLS, etc.), traveling off-site for lectures and seminars, fingerprinting, the list goes on and on and on. Be prepared! BE PREPARED! Paying for PA school can be challenging all by itself. Be sure that you have residual funds for these kinds of expenses because they will come up, often at the most inconvenient of times.

I think I've rested up enough to go out tonight! It's time to show these Southern salsa folks what I've been up to while I've been away. I had to cut down a bit on the salsa dancing as of late due to the heavy workload. It's been two weeks since I've danced. Insane! That's unacceptable. Yep...tonight's the night! I plan on writing again soon, hopefully after I've visited my old coworkers in the unit! I can't wait to see them.

No comments: