Friday, December 10, 2010

First year of PA school...DONE

Wow, I've been so busy I almost forgot I had a blog.

Sorry for the wait, dear readers. I can't put into words how busy the last three weeks have been for me. But this is a blog, and words are all I have, so I will do my best!

It's quite simple really...14 exams total over the last two weeks, seven per week including practical exams. I was warned long ago about the rigors of PA school. I began school 12 months ago with my eyes wide open. I knew what I was getting into. I knew about the hard work and the late nights of study, and the unforgiving amount of information that was expected to be learned. There is NOTHING that could have prepared me for what I've been through this semester. When they tell you PA school is tough they are not lying. I didn't expect it to be this tough, though. I feel like I've been run over by an 18-wheeler.

The topics covered this semester were vast: hematology/oncology, EKG interpretation, lab medicine, Cardiology, Pulmonology, Psychiatry, GI, more history taking and soap note writing, etc. We learned a lot, and I enjoyed it. I'm starting to feel myself transforming into a clinician.

When I return to PA school next month, I begin my second year. My second year! Where has the time gone? I remember the days when I was still taking prerequisite courses. I remember deciding what school I would apply to. I remember going shopping for my interview outfit (man, I looked good that day!). And here I am, one year into my professional training as a PA. Absolutely amazing. This semester has been a whirlwind for me and many of my classmates. I've never performed so poorly academically in my entire life. I've never been a "C" student. I've never been accustomed to failing test after test...until now. It hurts the ego for sure, but you get up, dust yourself off, and get back on the horse. I must say, though, I ended strong, my final exam scores look amazing, and I am really proud of myself and my accomplishments.

One more didactic semester left before I am let loose to begin treating real live patients. Scary, yes! But I'm ready to get out of the classroom. I learn with my brain and with my hands. I am a doer, and I know I will thrive during clinical year.

Well, not much else to say for now. I have the next 6 weeks to do absolutely nothing, and nothing is precisely what I'm going to do. Currently I sit in the Charlotte, NC airport heading for home. I haven't seen the detective in almost four months. I can't wait to talk to him and spend time with him.

No comments: