Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Countdown Begins...

4 days from now, the cop and I will be sitting in our bungalow eating gallo pinto, and kicking back a few drinks! Man, I can't wait to get outta here! Paradise awaits!!!

Planning this trip has been both exhausting and exciting! It kind of reminds me of the trip I planned this past May for the cop's 30th birthday! I had all the ducks in a row, and we had no mishaps during the trip, but the smooth sail didn't come easily. A lot of time and planning went into it. This trip is no different. In fact, more attention needs to be paid to the minor details if it is to be a success. Costa Rica is unfamiliar territory for the both of us. Going to a foreign country is never easy, but staying in the middle of the jungle with no phone, television, and very little civilization makes things a bit more interesting. This is just the kind of honeymoon we wanted, but we've had to do lots of homework to make it happen.

As usual, it's been up to me to see to it that all the wrinkles are ironed out. Passports copies, currency exchange rates, itinerary print outs, contact information lists, making arrangements for the dog....it goes on and on. After this week is over, we will really be in need of a vacation!

Work is...work. I love it and I hate it. I still find the work mundane and boring. The cases, however, are anything but boring. I learn something new everyday, and that's just the way it should be. I've been giving some thought to completing a residency after I complete school and pass the PANCE. Depending on the specialty I choose, this could really give me an edge. It's not the salary that I'm worried about. Work hard and the money will come...that's always been my motto. What I'm concerned most about is the huge learning curve. If there is anything I can do to ensure that I'm a productive member of the healthcare team from day ONE, I want to do it. And I think a residency would be perfect for that. Three more months to go, and I will no longer be an ICU tech. I'll be a PA-S.

No comments: